Parents, teachers and children are all concerned by incidences that have been occurring. From collapsed roofs, to flooding classrooms, sinks holes in the middle of school’s football pitch, to explosions in the chemistry labs, to bee attack, to gun shoot out in schools. Especially the latter has really gotten people thinking of suitability of home schooling. You wonder when the next child, teacher or parent will go on rampage, take children hostage and even shoot, killing or injuring, them in the process. Hence schools should develop threat detection and response management training for all its members’ even parents.
Common loopholes that endanger schools
While some of this school safety concerns occur spontaneously without warning, some have either occurred before or their signs that their will occur again. Most safety concern involve building standards’ than anything especially with old school buildings built in another era.
This safety concerns include;
- Unsafe and unstable physical structure.
- The school been situated along a busy highway
- Pedestrian and vehicular associated accidents in roads around schools.
- Unsanitary and unhealthy cafeteria foods
- Bullying both cyber and physical
- Presence of structures like mines, quarries, power plants, power lines that cause long term injury and harm to overall health.
- Presence of weapons or material that can be used as weapons by children.
- Presence of nightclubs, discotheques, bars and such bad influence place near schools.
- Presence of drugs and alcohol in school premises.
- Presence of people spreading material that contribute to religious radicalization, intolerance and hate speech.
N/B; this list is not exhaustive more challenges and concerns exist but the following ten are the most pertinent and relevant
Plugging the holes
While some holes can be filled up and be forgotten others need to pulled down and rebuild over. As we have seen danger manifest in more than in the physical sense, it also includes psychological and emotional. With each problem exist a solution and though some are simple others are complex. Most problems as noted by school safety inspector and experts are detectable, preventable and managed for future. Hence a sound administrator must exist to help look into this concerns and take charge of issues that arise.